Rated 3 out of 5 by NDNYC Mixed experience
I have stayed at this hotel a few times, and am overall a major W fan and a platinum SPG member. Most experiences have been very good and the recent renovation is well done. Issues with this stay - internet service did not work, and it took a lot of troubleshooting and a reset of the hotel's network to resolve - cost me a couple of hours of productive work time. Also, window was not properly closed, which took a while to detect, but a lot of street noise came in. Clearly a previous occupant had opened it to smoke as there were cigarette butts on the outside window ledge. I alerted staff of issues at checkout.
November 28, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Peter102 AVERAGE to DISAPOINTING
front desk staff disappoint. average service at check-in. pre-payment autho not found. front desk staff did not seem interested in resolving the problem.
manager did finally step up after an hour of confusion and disinterest
December 2, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by JTK1249 Room was very comfortable in spite of NYC noise
Visited son at NYU so location was very good.
December 2, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Atav W NYC
The hotel needs to improve the service, and also to recognize better the SPG guest status.
November 27, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Kwatson Amazing hotel!
Our weekend stay at your hotel was amazing! Everyone from your front desk staff to the restaurant staff was friendly and very helpful. It was also a very nice touch to have a special "Birthday" treat sent to our room for my sister! We also enjoyed the hot apple cider in the lobby!! Thank you for a very memorable and enjoyable experience!
November 19, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by primadonna132 Slightly disappointing
The hotel is absolutely beautiful-- chic, classy, and well-kept. However, we got a handicapped room and 1. did not ask for one and 2. were not informed that we were getting one. Our card keys were deactivated 6 DIFFERENT TIMES in one 24 hour stay. After visiting the front desk for the 6th time, security finally came and fixed the problem (which ended up being the lock itself-- not the things they tried to blame on us like storing it next to a cell phone, locking the door the wrong way, rubbing it against credit cards). When I had complained at check out, all they could give me was SPG points, no credit or discount or offer for another stay. Overall it was average and the price was way above average, so I would not return to this location.
July 8, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by FormerNYer W Disappointment
I'm a platinum member and regularly stay at Starwood properties. For some reason, W properties never fail to disappoint in some way. This most recent stay, however, was the worst one I've ever had. The problems included: no paper delivered 2/3 days, no complementary water replaced 2/3 days, the internet connection ($19.95 per day) kept going out and when it worked was slower than my 3G connection, no laundry bag in the closet, my bath mat was not replaced, some front desk associates were not ready for prime time, the gym had faulty equipment, and I had major problems with the restaurant (Olives). Other than that, everything was fine...I guess.
September 6, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by jechho Nice location, so-so hotel
- fantastic location, especially if you do not want or need to be close to the most touristy areas (Time Square etc) in Manhattan.
- comfy rooms.
- great follow up from managment after providing some feedback for the stay regarding their virtuoso amenities.
- variable service: No turn down service on day two, neither any newspaper. Found some garbage under the sink at the bathroom floor right after check in.
- only the window in the bedroom area seemed to soundproof (we had a suite). Be aware that noise is an issue if the room faces Union Square.
- air con pretty noisy (looked old)
- some attitude from staff. At check in, we asked if the room was in a quiet location. Answer: "Its New York, nothing is quiet here." Had to clearify that we of course knew that and that the question was if there was anything available on a higher floor (we got 11 out of 22) or if any of the sides were more quiet than the others.
- errors in the bill, but those were correct upon check out.
- I had to work hard to get the SPG platinum upgrade I am entitled to. Why does one have to ASK for this EVERY time at many SPG hotels? If the properties would just follow the SPG rules and upgrade proactively, platinum members could stop worrying about the begging/fighting/explaining the rules to front desk every time at check in.
- bar/restaurant is very popular and lively. Great choice for a pre- or post-dinner drink. However, the sound level does probably mean that the lower hotel floors should be avoided.
All in all, pretty expensive (normally 500 dollars ++) for what you get. But would probably return due to the unbeatable location if I could snag a decent rate.
November 20, 2011