Rated 2 out of 5 by FormerNYer W Disappointment
I'm a platinum member and regularly stay at Starwood properties. For some reason, W properties never fail to disappoint in some way. This most recent stay, however, was the worst one I've ever had. The problems included: no paper delivered 2/3 days, no complementary water replaced 2/3 days, the internet connection ($19.95 per day) kept going out and when it worked was slower than my 3G connection, no laundry bag in the closet, my bath mat was not replaced, some front desk associates were not ready for prime time, the gym had faulty equipment, and I had major problems with the restaurant (Olives). Other than that, everything was fine...I guess.
September 6, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by 7Barry Outdated room and uncomfortable beds
The room was not clean or quiet, the beds were squeaky and uncomfortable and the staff was unresponsive and rude.
You can hear what your neighbors in the next room are doing and talking about. The floor carpet had stains and the room had a stench to it.(mold and mildew)
The mattress was uncomfortable and old, the sheets were dirty.
Throughout the night there was noise from other rooms and the hallway. One last thing we had our do not disturb sign in door handle and the staff woke us up in the early morning and barged in the room.
November 10, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by lucinda10 Great Location
Third time at W Union Square. The location is perfect and the staff excellent. Rooms quiet. Will definitely stay at W next trip to NYC!
November 30, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by jechho Nice location, so-so hotel
- fantastic location, especially if you do not want or need to be close to the most touristy areas (Time Square etc) in Manhattan.
- comfy rooms.
- great follow up from managment after providing some feedback for the stay regarding their virtuoso amenities.
- variable service: No turn down service on day two, neither any newspaper. Found some garbage under the sink at the bathroom floor right after check in.
- only the window in the bedroom area seemed to soundproof (we had a suite). Be aware that noise is an issue if the room faces Union Square.
- air con pretty noisy (looked old)
- some attitude from staff. At check in, we asked if the room was in a quiet location. Answer: "Its New York, nothing is quiet here." Had to clearify that we of course knew that and that the question was if there was anything available on a higher floor (we got 11 out of 22) or if any of the sides were more quiet than the others.
- errors in the bill, but those were correct upon check out.
- I had to work hard to get the SPG platinum upgrade I am entitled to. Why does one have to ASK for this EVERY time at many SPG hotels? If the properties would just follow the SPG rules and upgrade proactively, platinum members could stop worrying about the begging/fighting/explaining the rules to front desk every time at check in.
- bar/restaurant is very popular and lively. Great choice for a pre- or post-dinner drink. However, the sound level does probably mean that the lower hotel floors should be avoided.
All in all, pretty expensive (normally 500 dollars ++) for what you get. But would probably return due to the unbeatable location if I could snag a decent rate.
November 20, 2011
Rated 3 out of 5 by gcajohn Maybe Elevators Can Work
One elevator for a full day!!! Two elevators for another. Worse experience in a long time at a W. Also it could help if someone clean the rugs in the rooms. Wow, the property is very run down....
November 28, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by primadonna132 Slightly disappointing
The hotel is absolutely beautiful-- chic, classy, and well-kept. However, we got a handicapped room and 1. did not ask for one and 2. were not informed that we were getting one. Our card keys were deactivated 6 DIFFERENT TIMES in one 24 hour stay. After visiting the front desk for the 6th time, security finally came and fixed the problem (which ended up being the lock itself-- not the things they tried to blame on us like storing it next to a cell phone, locking the door the wrong way, rubbing it against credit cards). When I had complained at check out, all they could give me was SPG points, no credit or discount or offer for another stay. Overall it was average and the price was way above average, so I would not return to this location.
July 8, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by amy08 front desk needs major improvement
At check-in, we were treated very rudely. We arrived at 1 and were told we would be called when our room was ready. At 2:40 we asked again,we were told in a very rude tone that the room was not ready and wouldn't be ready until 3. At 3 we went to the other man at the front desk and after a few minutes in the office he announced our room was ready. It should be, check-in is 3. So he flung our room key envelope at us and could not have been nastier. Time to look for a different hotel-we are SPG members so it is too bad.
October 31, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by jbha Customer Service
At the W the weekend of my daughter's wedding. We were promised upgraded adjoining rooms at 1pm to be used by the wedding party to get ready. When checking in we were told that the rooms would not be ready until after 3pm. The Hotel clerk flatly said there was nothing that could be done. So no rooms for us at 1pm. When I explained that we had been promised these rooms it wasn't until I searched and provided an email sent to us from the W event person that the clerk suddenly found 2 non-adjoining very basic rooms for us. Better than no rooms.This stressful situation and lack of caring by staff was shameful.
July 4, 2012