Rated 5 out of 5 by Moe15 This Hotel has Everything for the perfect get away, and superb location for Scootsdale!
i stayed at the W Scootsdale for 6 nights and it was the most amazing stay I've ever had at any luxury hotel. The staff was the most accommodating! The location of the hotel in Scootsdale was perfect! The sushi resturant was delicious. The room are so comfortable. The pool is amazing. It's a great place to relax and meet great people. I would highly recommend The W Scootsdale!
February 26, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Sales007 Hip Spot, Good Looking People, Great Location
This is one of the best W hotels I have stayed at (and I travel frequently). It's super hip here and turns into a night club on the weekends - if you can't handle music and attractive crowds, then I would suggest that you stay elsewhere.
As for the rooms, they were very spacious. They're like mini-studios with big closets, which was great. They're clean, the staff brings you water when needed, and not as dark as the traditional W property.
As for the location, it was pretty spot on. Near a few great restaurants, and with a running path along the canal, it fit the bill.
Overall, this is a super hip W hotel that is thumping with action. Gladly would stay here again when I visit Scottsdale.
February 19, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Graystone Could not have asked for more..
More than the hotel itself I was mostly pleased with the staff.
February 25, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by PEstefania What an astonishing property!
This property is amazing! I enjoyed the location and the amenities. The pool area was great and the gym was what you expect the W Hotels to be. The service was great and attentive. I was impressed by Mr. Sean Morrow attention to detail, his guests and professionalism. Would highly recommend this W location, the rooms were clean and in great condition.
February 12, 2015
Rated 2 out of 5 by gaberock Romantic Evening NOT achieved
My wife and I recently stayed there on the Saturday before Valentine's day. Understanding that pricing would be at a premium, I was okay with spending a little more based on what I understood to what I was looking for. I originally booked a spa suite, which had the advertised a spa soak tub, 1 of 2 things my wife and I wanted. When we checked in, we were given keys to a standard corner suite...which is not what we reserved. We called the front desk and explained our reservation and were immediately upgraded to the WOW suite, the largest on property. I asked if the tub was big enough for two and the front desk said yes. We moved to the room (even offered help with luggage, unnecessary but appreciated) and it was indeed huge. Kind of modern/Austin Powers, I'm sure it catered to the young/hip crowd. We walked into the bathroom and saw that it was huge...but the tub was not big enough for two, comfortably anyway. I get it that Jacuzzi/Whirlpools are a premium, but if a person asks if two can fit comfortably I would have expected an honest answer, especially for the price we paid regardless if we were upgraded.
Fast forward to dinner at Roku: really good but expect to pay premium prices. Again a place for the cool hip crowd, but I was under the impression from the hotel website that the dress code was a bit more upscale. That was quickly put to rest with the frat boy uniform for "nice" (untucked collared shirt, jeans, wearing a nice watch that dangles on the wrist like a bangle on a girl, and square toed shoes from the 1900s. But I digress).
We went back to the room to relax and were greeted by the room services I ordered: rose petals, champagne, and strawberries with chocolate. They were excellent, and my wife and I tried to take as good of a bath together as we could. The in-room stereo system worked well with my iPhone, so we relaxed. The music from the outside pool bar, which was NOT explained to us, started to get louder. We turned on the TV to wind down, which drowned out the noise from outside for a little while. To make this short(ish), here's were the problems started:
1. The "Blackout" option on the drapes system is a fat lie. Tons of ambient light from the pool bar and outside our windows crept in the room, I had to turn off all electronics to get it actually closer to black, and then realized it was impossible because the window that was above tub was letting in light and the modern bathroom had no door to close out the light. Bottom line is that there was too much light for a supposed premium room.
2. The bed was too soft. I know this is a preference, but if you like firm beds/pillows you will not like this bed at all. My wife said it was like sleeping on cotton candy.
3. The A/C system only shut off for about 10 minutes at a time. And when it was on for the other 15-20 minutes, imagine trying to sleep while the humming of a microwave is on. Not relaxing at all.
4. The WOW suite is also the handicapped-friendly room. Tons of room, of which they will try and sell you as a premium, seems unnecessary unless you were handicapped. For example, the rain shower and adjoining bathroom were huge, but the tub was small in comparison. Doesn't make sense until we looked at it from the handicapped point. If we got the spa suite like we wanted with the bigger tub as originally reserved, that would have been nicer.
5. The pool bar scene was happening until 2 in the morning. If that was explained to us when we moved, we would have requested a different room on the other side of the property.
6. Parking is $50 (per night?) for A GUEST OF THE HOTEL. That's just ludicrous.
Normally our treat to ourselves is to order room service, but because of the very poor sleeping conditions we just packed up and ate at Denny's instead. Bottom line is that my attempt at having a romantic getaway with a large tub and quality sleeping conditions (2 of 2 things we were looking for) sorely lacked at this hotel. If we were looking for a place to party and hang with our friends, this would be an awesome location. But a little information on the true nature of noise and light management in the rooms would have been nice. The staff was super friendly and seemed happy to assist us. But we couldn't ask them to keep things down, so there was no point in trying to bring this up. My wife and I rarely get to have these types of nights out, and I wish I would have looked for a resort instead which placed intimacy/light & sound management over the "social" ammenities. What we wanted to a great memory ended up being just a memory of poor planning and regret in not asking the questions important to us. If you're looking to party, this would be a great place in Scottsdale. But couples looking for romance between just the two of them should look elsewhere.
Room Tip: If offered a Wow Suite (#459), be aware that the room has a balcony that overlooks the pool bar and will be loud until 2AM. And that the "Blackout" option on the drapes is minimal at best, lots of ambient light in and out of the room.
February 13, 2012
Rated 3 out of 5 by SMF426 too cool to be cool
the hotel is icy and not really welcoming
the limited outdoor space that is not in the sun, plus rooms with parking lot views make this a really weird Scottsdale choice.
the rooms are not good for business as the hookups for computers etc are not easy to access, the open bathroom areas unappealing and frankly just weird. As for the front desk folk, they are too cool themselves to be truly welcoming. I tried it twice and not sure I would go back,
February 3, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by Patti117 Little recognition of SPG Status
The W Scottsdale is a beautiful property - my main objection is their complete lack of recognition of spg status. I am a lifetime platinum SPG member - just completed a stay at this hotel in November completing over 90 nights this year alone - I have NEVER received any kind of complimentary room upgrade here and no longer expect anything for my loyalty - sad but true.
They are also now asking for AND HOLDING your driver's license when you order a drink at the bar in the lobby - not something I am comfortable with or will allow again.
May go back to the Phoenician for all future stays in Scottsdale.
November 8, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by FrequentTraveler13 ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT I EXPECTED FROM THIS W!
I love the W Hotels and wanted to revisit this W as a part of my SPG Mission to stay at least one night at EVERY SPG hotel, covering all 9 brands within the United States,
1. W. INSIDER: RACHAEL, I cannot thank you enough for everything that you did for me. Rachel was in touch with me even before my arrival. She sent me an email with her contact details and personal cell phone. She was in constant communication with me. Upon my arrival on Friday, December 6th, 2013, she personally welcomed me and gave me a tour of the W and even brought free drinks. She personally escorted me to the bar located by the swimming pool and gave me a tour even though it was chilly outside. She researched and gave me printouts pertaining to elite movie theaters, regular theater and fine dining. She even booked dinner reservations at MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE for me plus arranged for transportation for me to be picked up from the airport and from MASTRO'S when I was done with dinner. I also want to thank RACHEL for my in-room amenity, free drink coupons, free ice skating coupons and my welcome card. MY MOST POSITIVE INTERACTION WAS WITH RACHEL AT THIS SPG Hotel.
2. TRANSPORTATION: I landed at PHOENIX SKY HARBOR International AIRPORT and JAMES from the W picked me up. He was very courteous and waited for me at the airport even though my flight was 30 minutes late. JAMES was very pleasant to interact with and was very intelligent with extensive knowledge about the area and the SPG Program and properties. JAMES also picked me up from MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE after I was done with dinner. The ride from the airport will cost you a flat rate of $45-not bad for a cool ride.
I also want to thank ADAM for driving me from the W to MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE.
3. HOTEL DECOR: This W is beautiful and you will love the decor once you enter the hotel.
4. LIVING ROOM: Well maintained and great service. The bartender girls are very courteous and extremely beautiful. On weekends you can capture a glimpse of celebrities at this hotel. The most beautiful ladies can be found in the living room on the weekends.
5. LIVING ROOM BAR: I want to thank MICHAEL-the bartender for being extremely courteous and doing an excellent job in spite of being extremely busy. Thank you for everything that you do MICHAEL.
6. HOUSEKEEPING: I want to thank RAYMOND for being super nice and getting me extra towels and shower products to my room.
7. ROOM MINIBAR CHECKING ATTENDANT: On my day of checking out HATIDZA checked my minibar. She was the most courteous lady ever and did an excellent job. Thank you for everything that you do HATIDZA.
8. POOL AND ICE SKATING RING: This W has a very cool pool and ice skating ring adjacent to it. You can rent a cabana if you wish.
9. WHATEVER/WHENEVER: Thank you RYAN for being very helpful and courteous.
10. CHECK OUT: Thank you JOHN for being efficient and assisting me.
1. CHECK IN NIGHTMARE: I arrived at the W and was very happy to get there as the Ws are my favorite brand. KATIE was at the front desk and was very courteous but had NO CLUE about how to check me in. She informed me that the system would NOT ALLOW HER TO CHECK ME INTO THE HOTEL. She indicated to me that that she would have to consult with her supervisor. She disappeared for a long while while I just waited at the front desk. When KATIE returned she had LEON with her who also had a tough time checking me in. It too a VERY LONG TIME for LEON to figure out how to check me in. He was assisted by MATT (From the Great State of Ohio). MATT was very courteous and engaged me in conversation while KATIE AND LEON took their time trying to figure out how to check me in. You have to be kidding me guys. It is not appropriate to waste the time of guests who may be hard pressed for time with such longish check in delays. I almost missed my dinner reservations at MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE. I have never encountered such a check-in delay at ANY of the numerous SPG hotels that I have been to across the United States.
2. IN-ROOM AMENITY: RACHEL, the W. Insider had very graciously arranged to have a special amenity delivered to my room before my arrival. She was shocked to learn that I had not gotten it. She immediately rectified the issue. This just demonstrated poor organization on the part of staff. But I am very thankful to RACHEL for everything that she did for me.
3.WHATEVER/WHENEVER; Poor service from TAYLOR and KATIE (who had checked me in). When I spoke with KATIE on the phone, I asked her if she was at the front desk as she had checked me in. She responded by telling me that the front desk and the whatever/whenever desk were interconnected. I was getting the feeling that she thought that I was completely unaware of the front desk and Whatever/Whenever operations. It made me feel like a dumbo. But KATIE was over all very courteous in her conversations with me.
4. UTTER HUMILIATION/POOL ACCESS SECURITY DISASTER: I was in the living room on Saturday December 7th, 2013 and wanted to access the pool area. There was a security person guarding the stairway entrance to the pool and bar area. When I tried to access the pool, I was abruptly stopped by the security agent who asked for my ID. I provided him with a US Govt issued ID and he refused to recognize it as a valid ID. He stated to me that he could not locate a date of birth on my ID as such HE DENIED ME ACCESS TO THE POOL AREA AND BAR. I approached the front desk agent, ARIEL and explained the situation to him and wanted to talk with a supervisor. ARIEL did not assist me at all nor was a supervisor called. I WAS DENIED ACCESS TO THE POOL AREA/BAR even though I was a guest at the W.Scottsdale. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HUMILIATED AT ANY SPG HOTEL DURING MY ENTIRE SPG MEMBERSHIP LIFE.
5. CCOL CORNER SUITE: I used my SUITE NIGHT AWARDS to upgrade. The cool corner suite is cool with the following flaws.
A, The sink does not drain efficiently and floods.
B, The shower takes a long time to dispense HOT water.
C. You cannot sleep until after 0200 hrs on the weekends secondary to SUPER LOUD MUSIC. The room is not sound proof but does have a great private balcony.
6. CHECK OUT PROCESS: KATIE was again at the front desk and even though she is very sweet and courteous, she has no job efficiency. There was a $8 parking charge on my account even though I had been charged $26 for overnight parking. KATIE was kind enough to take the $8 charge off and instead of adding $8 to the cash that the hotel owed me she SUBTRACTED the $8 from the cash amount. I have been through many hotels in my life and I immediately pointed it out to her. She responded by stating that she was not sure why the system made such an error. But this is COMMON HUMAN SENSE. She consulted with JOHN who then efficiently dispensed the cash that was due to me.
7. MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE: Located nearby, overpriced, great steak, poor service.
1. Staff needs better training.
2. EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE needs to be improved.
3. Loyal SPG-75 AND SPG-100 members who LOVE the W brand should NOT BE HUMILIATED BY SECURITY GUARDS and DENIED ACCESS TO HOTEL POOL/BAR.
OVERALL: AVERAGE experience but I still love the Ws and this is still one of my FAVORITE Ws. I will not let one absolutely humiliating experience deter me from coming back to Scottsdale.
Thanks again to all the staff members who helped me out. You all did a great job and the others who did not I still want to thank you for trying your best.
December 10, 2013