Rated 5 out of 5 Dream-like Vacation
What a trip it was and it started with the fantastic news that we were upgraded to the WOW Suite!! It was just incredible and we were treated unbelievably well! I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a romantic getaway. It was phenomenal - the property, the service, the treatment we received, all of it - truly felt like a SPG Platinum member and its reasons like this that I continue to push to be in a SPG hotel wherever I go. The front desk, whatever whenever, and housekeeping (leaving chocolates on the bed!) were all extremely sweet, considerate, and responsive.
The food needs improvement (a quick beans and rice place by the pool would be great) but other than that this property is fantastic and well worth the experience!
April 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 Exceptional!
We just got home from a five day stay at your resort! We are OVER JOYED with the overall experience at WVieques. Everything was perfect and you have an exceptional staff! We were very touched by "Danny" he is truly a valued employee with compassion! He displayed unwavering enlightened hospitality to the fullest! From the design of the hotel to the spectacular views everything was a dream come true! We can't wait to come back and do it all over again!! Your poolside staff was fantastic as well taking great care of us! Gigi, Yamil & Juan were wonderful! The manager of Away is also a complete delight! How fortunate you are to have such wonderful employees. Thank you again for all that you do to make your resort a success! All the best from two very happy guests!
Alice & Carlo
April 15, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by cc2727 Security Director saved the day
Our son got sick with a stomach virus and Luiz Rodriguiz, the hotel's Security Director, was phenomenal! He totally took care of us the moment we asked for help. He escorted us to the ER, translated and advocated for us with the physican and nursing staff, took care of all the hospital's paper work and fees and even brought blankets and pillows from the hotel to make our son's stay more comfortable. After we were released he went into town and got our prescriptions filled and delivered to our room. Later, a complimentary cracker tray and handwritten note was delivered to our son. He went above and beyond the call of duty and made a potentially scary situation into no big deal. Thank you, thank you Luiz!
April 12, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 Unique and Special Spot
Such a great place to relax and enjoy some downtime with friends or a special someone. The small planes from San Juan are a fun experience to start the adventure. The rooms are sexy, and we enjoyed the convenience offered by the pool oasis room to go back and forth to the pool/beach. The disappointing side is that it is obvious that the hotel is cutting costs, compared to my visit a few years ago (no more open bar at airport lounge, no berries on breakfast buffet in lieu of cheaper fruits, unable to get SPG Platinum breakfast at main breakfast restaurant/restricted to W Cafe, portable lanterns are gone, and staff was minimal at breakfast.) All staff were very nice, fun, and helpful, but more bodies would improve the experience. In the end, I would recommend a visit to this beautiful retreat, and I hope to return again soon myself.
April 15, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by LOCAL Not worthy of the W (or Starwood) flag
The good: restaurant and grounds.
The so-so: beach and tennis courts.
The bad: staff incredibly obtuse and rude. Yeah, I used obtuse.
The drama: way too much to go into here. Don't bother making plans as they will simply ignore or change them. Then, browbeat you or offend you in front of other staff and guests. Just plain horrible.
The upshot: None. Repeated requests to speak or interact with the GM of the property ignored, even when National Reservations intervened on my behalf. Waste of feedback time to National as they noted that this was not the first complaint. They were tracking the issues.
Good luck if you stay here. Just manage your expectations downward and you will be fine.
April 22, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by KKlein They haven't figured out how to run this place YET!
Well first off the facility is really nice! Vieques island is beautiful. The better beaches are on the other side of the resort.
Now lets come back to the customer service piece which was absent for the hotel. Here's the recap of events:
1. They will charge you to flush the toilet if they could. Basically I am not sure what the resort fees is for. The island is pretty small, you would think that they would have some sort of shuttle or 2 mile radius pick up and drop off service but they dont. You either need a car or riculous $20 per person fees to get any where around there! The only thing free was the ride to and back to the airport.
2. We shceduled a tour for Bio bay the first night: A. we were not on the tour B. we were told that the tour will be charged to our hotel room but the tour told us they dont accept credit card payment. We were sent back from our tour embarrased since we didnt take any cash. To top that, the bio car that brought us back demanded money to bring us back since we didnt take the tour.
3. The hotel manager heard us complaining and offered to arrange the tour for next day. She also told us she will comp the tour (very nice of her) but the nect day when we got to the tour, we were not on the list AGAIN and they had no proof that the hotel will be paying them directly. We were again shamed in front of the whole group but they let us take the tour this time.
4. On the second night, water started seeping through the sick in to the room. I complained to front desk, they sent somebody who simply mopped the floor but the water was contantly pouring out.
5. When we returned that night, there was a small lake in our bedroom, the luggage and shoes were wet! we complained again and were told that the engineer is only available during day and will come back in the morning so we slept in our lake that night.
6. The next morning engineer shows up at 6:30 am in the morning and asks us to leave our room. So without a bra and dirty teeth, we were made to leave our room.
7. We go to front desk and they say our room will be ready in couple of hours. This is the time you would have offered free breakfast but they didnt. If this wasnt enough, they put us in a new room with 2 double beds. There goes our romantic couple vacation! I asked to be placed in a room with king bed and were told that nothing was available. I have a hard time believing that, sicne the last building we were put in was pretty empty. Plus we were moved from a pool oasis room to the furthest building from the pool.
8. We go back to pack our wet clothes and run into a nice chap (engineer) who was working in our room and informed us that there was a pipe break in the room. He was nice enough to offer to get our clothes drycleaned (we declined) and offered us to buy breakfast. He asked us to go to resturant and tell them to expense the bill to him
9. On 2 separate occasion, we were waiting for something at whatever/whenever desk and front desk, when the employees kept talking amongst each other like we were invisible and then walked away with each other. The person at whatever/whenever never acknowledged me till I had to interrupt her daily internet surfing session!
All in all, this resort sucks in customer service. They made our stay exceptionally uneasy and irritating. Not what you want on vacation! I dont want to deal with water leaks, moving to double beds, not getting booked for tours on a 3 day vacation! Plus the attitude of " its not my fault" doesnt help either! IT IS your fault!
Any ho, will give where its due, the resort is beautiful!
November 14, 2011
Rated 5 out of 5 by jb1995 Amazing Resort and Destination
We loved every aspect of the W and it was exactly what we were looking for. It was swanky, clean, quiet, relaxing and beautiful. We loved our room, the food and very friendly staff. We were there to celebrate our anniversary and the staff made it special from the room upgrade to chocolate covered strawberries and personal note, it was awesome. I would highly recommend the island and resort.
April 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by ti727 The pictures don't do it justice
Beautiful resort, average food.
April 7, 2014