Rated 5 out of 5 by Peter40 WOW
Stunning, stylish and staff with looks to die for!
June 14, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by MKBG Nice place with poor service
Nice hotel with fantastic view, but poor service
May 22, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Mennu Great location
Amazing view, great pool bar, nice atmosphere
September 18, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Delphic Breathtaking
Enjoyed both poolside and Beach locations
October 8, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Cansu26 Beautiful Hotel !!!
nice hotel. beautiful room.
November 26, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by PSLim Superb five days stay
Very sincere hospitality by hotel staffs!
April 3, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by dvr1 great views
really great views and location!
October 24, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Sandro Excellent Hotel
Very good service, fantastic sea view
January 31, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Whatevernext69 Service
Excellent all round service.
October 27, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by inceozgur Very stylish
Great place with stylish decoration
June 14, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by JK59 Great Hotel
Great hotel, great location
May 14, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by gamecock32 W in Barcelona
Great place, I'll be back!
February 4, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by EnglishPete If you like 'modern' you'll love this
The room was really lovely, and the bed was as sensational as the view. I can't find fault with teh room itself, and I feel other comments about the transparency of the loo glass are overdone. The room is cleverly appointed and feels so much more spacious than it is. The decking area is crowded at times, and people frustratingly 'reserve' spots for the whole day with towels despite being absent for hours. However, we found the beach area to be a total treat, especially in the mornings. Eating and drinking in the hotel is very expensive, at times it tips over in the 'value for money' scale.
Two criticisms that admittedly pale into insignificance compared to the truly fantastic stay we had, are:
- Check-in was extremely busy. This was at Sunday at 12.30pm so not a surprise. There was a 20 min queue, then a 3 hour wait for the room. Staff were very friendly.
- We went to the stunning bar on the top floor at 7pm for sundowners before going for dinner. It's such a lovely spot, but the music was literally blaring out. Even though my group was in their 30's and early 40's it was too much. Several others left straight away and we stayed for only one quick drink and some photos. Why not start the evening in a more mellow way and build it up from there?
But, make no mistake, I'll be back to the W Barcelona whenever I get the chance
August 28, 2012
Rated 2 out of 5 by Onourway5 Party more important than guest experience
Techno music blaring till 2am on a Sunday night on the Wet deck (what a tacky name) disturbing the entire beach side of the hotel's peace. I'm not talking distant party sounds, I'm talking wall shaking bass heard clearly on the 10th floor. Staff did nothing to accommodate my family to the other side of the hotel or get the music turned off at the time they assured me it would be (3 separate people assured me it would be turned off at midnight). Also what's with the haughty attitude? We were accosted by the host at the breakfast buffet because we had some of our family sit at our large table when they arrived from the airport. He stormed up saying "you said you only had 3!" Instead of inquiring if they were guests of the hotel and would be joining us for breakfast (they were) in a pleasant customer service type way. I felt like we were being accused of stealing a roll when between the 6 of us we had 3 rooms at the hotel. I guess we weren't wearing our Gucci that day. That must mean we are criminals ;) I could go on but you get the picture. Final word from my perspective: if you want to party all night and stay in a cool architectural landmark with awesome views and have the sort of self esteem that likes to be condescended and lied to- stay here! Oh yes, and our room smelled like puke. Someone had clearly vomited in the entry way and all the cleaning product in the world couldn't cover that cheesy smell. Thanks W!
July 26, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by PureGlamTV One of the best SPG hotels worldwide
As a Starwood Lifetime Platinum Guest I saw a lot of Starwood Hotels over the last ten years and I have to say - the W-Barcelona was always missing.
I had the chance to spent four days at the beginning of April on this property - and W-Hotels are always a 100% like or dislike ... for me and this one is really great.
Beautiful city of Barcelona, short ride by the airport (about 25 EUR by taxi) and the building is a must-visit.
Very friendly team, from arrival to checkout - all departments try to take care on you on every minute. Very open mind and helpful.
I tried the breakfast at WAVE restaurant and BRAVO, dinner at WAVE and cocktails at SALT... - ECLIPSE bar in the evening/night for the beauty party (You have to go there) and have to say - wonderful time!
But... - the feeling to wake up with a sunrise over the ocean - right from your bed is simply unbelievable - a soft and beautiful wake-up call... if you think about going there, always try to book a room with ocean-view. The city-view with Sagrada Familia and the harbour is also fantastic, but the wake-up service is priceless :)
Relax at the pool or start a walk on the beach - this hotel offers plenty of possibilites and I have to say - it was my first visit at the W Barcelona - but I am already counting the days for the next flight to Barcelona.
Thank you W-Barcelona, for a wonderful time
P.S.: Don't miss the chance to ask the W-Insiders for best recommendations for food or spots to see... - they know the city... better than every travel guide!!
April 14, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by RichW Barcelona at it's best!
My wife and I spent our anniversary trip (13 year) here from September 6 - 13th. This was our first visit to Barcelona, but have stayed at many W hotels in the past.
Without question this is one of the best W hotels in the world. From the first glimpse of the hotel's unique sail shape as you are driving into Barcelona from the airport to it's unique rooms with the best views of any hotel in Barcelona.
We were greeted with warm welcomes (Platinum member with over 100 stays per year). We actually had my suite award nights rejected, which caused me some concern several days before our arrival. As this was a special anniversary trip and wanted our 8 days to be fantastic in a terrific room. Upon our arrival the front desk, indicated that I did not need the upgrades as they had put us in a "Cool Corner Suite" room 1818 which has unreal views of both the City and Beach out of the one floor to ceiling widows and of the ocean out of the front floor to ceiling windows.
The suite was huge, with great sitting, bathroom, bedroom and office area space. What a delight!
The service, restaurants at the hotel, and all the staff were - WONDERFUL.
If you are looking to stay in Barcelona and have the best of all worlds - Beautiful Beach just outside the hotel, Unbelievable and Spectacular Views and short stroll to the city center of Barcelona - look no further as you have arrived at the W in Barcelona!
Thank you so much for the great accommodations and service you provided my wife and I on our anniversary holiday!
Rich @ Eva
September 12, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by AJR1 Relaxing Weekend in Barcelona
Returned to the W for a quick weekend escape from the dire London weather.
Arrived on a Friday night and had a quick check-in by very welcoming staff.
Got a nice room on the 17th floor with a fantastic sea view.
The decor of the rooms is simple but elegant. A large walk in shower room and lots of Bliss Spa shower gels and shampoos are a nice touch.
I was a bit disappointed that two large water stains could not have been cleaned from my window seat. It was also noted that the Ipod dock was as dead as it had been last year.
The decor of the common area is..well... very red. I'm sure a bit more could have been done. I also thought that some of the finer touches were missing - how about nailing an emergency phone to a wall rather than leave it lying on the floor??
Since my visit last year the hotel has opened up one of the restaurants down by the beach as an alternative to the main lobby restaurant. "Salt" has a much nicer seating set up, but the buffet display feels a little lacking. Perhaps it is just the cavernous size of the venue which rather overwhelms.
The Wet Deck (the pool area) is the best feature of the hotel. Sun loungers over two levels, with a bar on each, overlooking the pool and beach.
One let down was the attentiveness of staff on the deck. Felt like i could die of thirst a couple of times and the speed of service was lacking.
The beach area has hotel sun loungers and staff attendants offer towels and drinks. Not sure why the hotel feels the need to offer the sunloungers to the public at EUR25 a pop. It had the effect of filling up the area and making it harder for me to find a place. Its not as if the hotel isnt charging enough....surely?!
Sweat.. the gym... is a well equipped gym as hotel gyms go. Barbell and dumbells (up to 22kg), smith machine, treadmills, stretch area. And the spa staff even came round with fruit juice mid workout... nice!
The air-con on my floor packed up one night. The hotel asked to gain access to my room to check the system.. which was disruptive to say the least as i was already in bed. They apparently had no luck in fixing it as a couple of hours later i was woken by an infuriated guest laying into hotel staff outside his door about the apparent lack of cool.
Said air con remained unserviceable for the rest of my stay.
Poor show for a 5* hotel.
I arranged for a late check out but alas the key card didnt play ball. This left me locked out down by the beach after the standard check out time. Despite braving the madding crowds congregating around reception to reactivate my card - i was still unable to use the lift back to my room. Why is it so difficult??!
Overall - the stay was pleasant. But the hotel really needs to up its game a bit.
Cleanliness, decor, access and attentiveness of staff would be good areas of focus.
Look forward to returning in the autumn.
July 19, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by FloFromFrankfurt Beauty and the Beast
Well, to start with the most important fact - if you are looking for a silent, romantic, peaceful getaway - this is NOT your place. Period. (I wasn't looking for this!).
If you want something, that's VERY cool, has a perfect beachfront location next to a wonderful city (BCN), has a good mix of restaurant, clubbing and fun, and exceptional views (ocean, city, beach) from almost every room, plus a bit of W style, then go for it.
Now, some details:
1. Starwood Elite recognition: so-so. Free B/F and Internet granted, late checkout no problem. No room upgrade though (not even Wonderful -> Mega or Fantastic, same room size, just different room!) and NO separate Elite counters at reception.
2. Speaking about which - wait times for checkin and checkout were both about 15 minutes, organization is pure chaos, reception attendants are running away to take care of luggage or things or whatever. This - sorry to say - is absolutely unacceptable in the 5* world and with rates as they are called here.
3. Responsiveness of staff - first room we got, although booked as and marked as Non/Smoking had a strong smoke smell to it. Not the one that's left by a single cigarette, but some heavy, multi-day smoking going on. Asked for replacement - first offer was someone coming with a spray to clean the air. After long discussion and insisting, finally got a room change to an ok room, but the discussion to get there was also pretty unacceptable.
4. Food: Wave - couldn't test, was full both days of stay for breakfast, were sent to Salt (beachside restaurant) instead. No general problem there with the exception of waiting stuff that didn't look at all like they had any interest in their work whatsoever - rather hungover looks (cracked nail polish, tired behavior, slow coffee delivery, tight-time removal of plates with very little communication). Food was good; W.Bar - nice cocktails, overall good service. Wet Bar - nice food, quick service, great poolside location. Bravo - couldn't get a table, hung out at the bar for some Tapas. Not cheap, but a positive experience, lots of laughs and smiles with the barkeeper who served as waiter, nice food. Eclipse - didn't try this time, at last stay, very hipster place, drinks not very good, but great music and party.
5. Beach - nice towel service, great location, very little trouble and wandering sales guys - even though it's a hotel-managed public part of the Barcelona beach, not an official private beach.
6. Views - wonderful. Staying on the "Harbour" side on 24th floor - wide ocean views, electric curtains that can be opened and closed from bedside - perfect. Room comfort is great, too. Design little bit over the top - putting a toilet in foggy glass walls inside the main room looks ok first, but every noise thats made inside is amplified echo in the room - not sure if that's still cool or simply unpleasant. Also, bathroom sink of the very square, boxy type - looks again cool, but pretty much impossible to clean in the corners and that's what it also looks like....
Overall: One Of The Places To Be in BCN. If you don't like that fact, stay away. Fully featured to support this ambition. Design/setup slightly over the top, but matching the goals. Should definitely try to improve on the little sides of service - checkin speed, fitness-to-job for waiters - to be a bit more 5* and a little bit less hip - that would make it a pretty perfect city getaway.
August 16, 2013