Rated 3 out of 5 In need of improvement
This was my second stay at this property and, compared with my first stay which was excellent, I had multiple problems.
1. Arrival: The problems started at the reception desk on arrival. I asked Alexander if he had a room on a higher floor and away from the elevators (as in my profile) and he told me I had already been assigned a room. I asked him if he had my Gold status on file and he said, "Yes, I have your Starwood number" with no recognition of my Gold status. I asked if any upgrades were available and he told me that I already had been given the best room to which my rate entitled me. His manner was not friendly and this stood in stark contrast to my last visit when Marina and the reception desk staff were exemplary. I "recruited" my two colleagues to stay at the W with me this trip and was embarrassed in front of them at this unwelcoming treatment. When I got to my room, I found that it was near the elevators and that my junior colleague, who has no Starwood status, was given a better room than I was.
2. I made two reservations, one for the first 5 nights that included breakfast and a second for the last night that did not include breakfast since I would be departing early for the airport. I alerted Alexander to this and he was initially unaware of the second reservation but then found it. To better ensure that we didn't run into problems between reservations, I stopped by the front desk two more times during the week. On both occasions, the staff seemed surprised about the second reservation and, on both occasions, they assured me that they now correctly linked both reservations. I was disappointed then to receive a call at 13:03 on the day before my checkout asking me, "When are you planning to check out?" This was corrected but was symptomatic of the disorganization at the reception desk.
3. On 10/17, I began to prepare for my trip home and did some laundry and "pre-packed". Since the room was a bit of a mess, I placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door when I left the room to get some exercise. When I returned, the sign had been removed from the door and placed over the light switch and the room had been cleaned. While it's nice to have a clean room, I find the invasion of privacy much more troubling. When I place the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, I expect it to be honored unless there is an urgent matter.
4. I needed to attend a meeting at another hotel and asked the doorman to help me get a taxi. Instead, he put me in a private car and told me the fare was 1000 rubles (about $25). On my return, the fare in a metered taxi was 300 rubles (about $7.50). Later, this same doorman (about 173 cm, lean, partial facial hair, long hair pulled into a balled ponytail) approached me when I was leaving on a walk and asked me if I wanted his help to "make some memories". He was clearly trying to sell me something and I was concerned it was something lewd...certainly not the sort of experience I expect at what should be a premier Starwood property. Doormen should protect the hotel guests, not victimize them.
By themselves, each of these negative experiences is relatively minor. In aggregate, they speak to problems with treating guests with respect, appropriately fulfilling guest requests, communication, and resolving problems when they occur.
1. The restaurant staff were excellent but the food was quite average. I expected more from a $50 breakfast.
2. If you're on the seventh floor during the day, the peace of your room will be disturbed by a din that sounds like people dragging tables and chairs a floor above. This was present on my prior stay but I had forgotten to mention it.
3. During our visit, the hotel celebrated "Fashion Week" and the hotel was full of young fashionistas who clogged the reception area and the 8th floor. While this isn't unexpected, I did not expect my sleep to be disturbed by people yelling and running up and down the hallway at night.
4. The Fitness Center was very good, although one of the elliptical machines was broken during the entire week.
5. Very limited English channels on the television...little more than CNN, BBC, Bloomberg, CNBC.
In the end, this was a very disappointing stay. The problems all seem avoidable but it felt like many of the staff members weren't really trying. This is far less than I expected for a hotel that once prided itself on being one of the best hotels in St. Petersburg. Reputations must be continuously maintained or else they tarnish.
October 18, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by hockeyplayer I wanted to keep this a secret
Stayed at the hotel for nearly 6 months since their opening in 2011. After opening pains, the hotel staff under GM's direction, have resolved most of the initial kinks and pains, and have truly made me feel more at home over these long nights than any other place I've stayed in over a long travel life. Food quality is exceptional, service is great, rooms are spacious and clean, staff is friendly, what's not to like?
August 1, 2012
Rated 5 out of 5 by mari Beautiful Gem, Great Location and Best Service
This W is superb - staff is attentive, rooms are nice and location is perfect. I have stayed in many W's around the world and this is one of my favorites.
I live in New York for over 9 years but originally from St. Petersburg and before W - I stayed in many other hotels which cannot even compete with this gem.
If you are looking for an ultimate W experience, this hotel would be a great choice for you. It is modern, super clean, stylish, with great roof top and spa. It is a walking distance from Nevskii prospect, Hermitage and pretty much across the streed from St Isaac's Cathedral.
This is my second time staying here and I will be coming back again!
October 31, 2011
Rated 4 out of 5 by Aviz0 Excellent
Our suite was really what the hotel calls "wow"
The personnel was very attentive and polite.
The bed was very comfortable. All the facilities were great. The food was not at the level of the hotel
September 29, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Pab31 Warm Staff, Lovely Property
I had a great time in St. Petersburg, from the moment I walked out the airport and was greeted by W staff for airport pick-up. Once at the hotel, I enjoyed its many features, including the bar, restaurant and spa. Lovely spacious room with an amazing view. I had to rescheduled my trip and cut my stay short for only 2 nights, however I would come here in a heart beat.
Special thank you to Ekaterina, Anastasia, Margarita and all the others at the Concierge/Front Desk.
September 25, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by MishaK Outstanding Hotel and Service!
I spent one night at the W St. Petersburg (too short of a stay) and enjoyed every step of it. From the doorman to the front desk to every person on staff, they were immediately attentive, friendly, and offered help and service with everything. It started with the welcome email a week prior to my trip, to the front desk taking me to my room to ensure it met expectations. The dinner restaurant was very, very good quality, though a bit pricy (for wine, where a half bottle was as much as all the food combined). The breakfast was good, but not great, the sausage was quite inedible... but otherwise it was a good breakfast. The gym is small, but most hotel gyms are, but it has quality equipment and some dumbells. Back to the room - one of the nicest rooms, great shower with tons of space, and the room design and cleanliness overall made me want to stay for weeks. I was checking out the next day but needed them to hold my luggage while I went to work meetings, which was not a problem at all with the staff, and when I arrived back (though already checked out) the front desk staff offered me stay for that evening's party, and the bar staff checked on me twice just to make sure if I didn't need anything. Outstanding guest experience, and I can't wait to come back.
March 23, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by travc Good for tourists
Great location. Rooms: lots of space but design is a "not so luxury WOW!" with white inexpensive furniture. But the beds are marvelous (for these who prefer soft beds) Some faults in the room: 0 shelves in the closets; bathroom door not closing at all, Pay-TV never worked (4 days) in spite of 2 people coming to fix it, Wi-Fi in the room was not always working properly but ok. Bathroom: good design, but also "finished in a hurry". No pressure of hot water. Big problem - food. Only one gastronomically pretentious restaurant with very short cart and expensive. Lobby bar - nice but has too short a menu to compensate for it even though good Hamburgers; sandwich and salads. Drinking Water in the room in Russia is very important all 5 stars give you 2 time 0.5l. Here only 0.2 l bottles - not enough. Room service food choice is a bit better. No executive floor. But Great location and People are all trying a lot. So with a bit of fix may become best place in STP to stay !
October 20, 2012
Rated 1 out of 5 by MCPART Impossible to sleep!
This has been the worst hotel stay I have had in my entire life. No matter in which room one is, one can still hear the music of the bars, especially the 8th floor bar. The music is on until 3:30-4;00 a.m. If you have to work next day or if you need to wake up early, DO NOT choose this hotel. Earlier tonight, I was shown three different rooms (one on the 3rd floor and two on the 4th floor). The two members of staff who accompanied me, Alexander and Rusland, could also hear the music.
This hotel has destroyed my trip to St. Petersburg. The decoration of the hotel is good and modern, but if a guest cannot relax in one's room, then nothing can be enjoyed. I truly wish I never booked this hotel. I cannot wait to leave.
August 8, 2014