Door-to-door luggage shipping. See rates
Santorini—also known as Thira—is renowned as the most beautiful of Greece’s 56 Cycladic Islands. Located 200 kilometers southeast of the mainland, the island covers 96-square-kilometers and attracts international tourists seeking its volcanic black-sandy beaches, sugar-cube Cycladic buildings, twisting stone alleyways with gregarious nightlife, blue-domed churches, and azure sea.
Santorini’s dramatic beauty was formed by a massive volcanic eruption that took place over three and a half thousand years ago around 1645-1600 BC. Rumors abound that this eruption was the demise of the legendary lost city of Atlantis. Lost city or not, Santorini is steeped in rich history, and Vedema Resort has the advantage of being located near the airport and the port of Athinios—convenient to all area attractions.
Some especially notable sites are:
• The ancient Minoan city Akrotiri: Dominated by a medieval fortress, this is one of the most inspiring sites in Greece.
• The Archaeological Museum: This impressive museum contains Hellenistic artifacts, Byzantine art, and remains of prehistoric times.
• Thira: Santorini’s most ancient city houses Dorian, Byzantine, and Roman remains.
• The Museum of Prehistoric Thira: This collection chronicles the island's history from the Late Neolithic to the Late Cycladic period.
• 18th Century monastery Profitis Illias: Located on the highest point in Santorini, the monastery contains both an enchanting church and folk museum.
• The Red Beach and the black sands of Perivolos: These beaches are renowned as some of the most breathtaking in the world.
• Thirasia: This nearby island with hot springs and impressive volcanic structures makes an unforgettable day trip.
Closer to the resort, the beaches of Kamari and Perissa host diving centers and offer a bevy of water sports. These activities, horseback riding, and more can be arranged through The Luxury Collection Concierge. The island’s best shopping options are Fira's renowned designer stores located only a few miles from the resort.
The currency is the Euro and the electrical system is European Standard 220 volt. Santorini's official language is Greek, however; English is prevalent and French, German, and Spanish are spoken in large villages.
View Local Area Map
Arts & Culture
- Santorini Ancient Thira 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Santorini Ancient Thira 10.0 km/6.2 miles
- Fira Town General Hospital 7.0 km/4.3 miles
- US Embassy 330.0 km/205.1 miles
- Santorini Akrotiri Excavations 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Akrotiri Excavations 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Sunset Cruise 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Santorini Volcano Show 15.0 km/9.3 miles
- Mykonos Island Cruise 96.6 km/60.0 miles
- Vlihada 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Fira 7.0 km/4.3 miles
- Ancient Thira 10.0 km/6.2 miles
- Kammeni Volcano 15.0 km/9.3 miles
- Oia 20.0 km/12.4 miles
- Mykonos 96.5 km/60.0 miles
- Crete 96.5 km/60.0 miles
- Private Beach 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Fira Town 7.0 km/4.3 miles