Formerly known as Peking, Beijing is one of the Seven Ancient Capitals of China, as well as the country’s current capital. Ideally located on the city’s north Third Ring Road—in the heart of the city’s transportation network—the Sheraton Beijing Dongcheng Hotel offers easy connections to the entire city.
Just a few kilometers from the Olympic Stadium, we are a 20-minute drive from Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK). Tiananmen Square, Financial Street, the Beijing Zoo, and the Beijing Botanical Garden are within 15 minutes of the hotel via the subway.
Settle in, then set out to the Forbidden City. China’s largest collection of ancient buildings, this magnificent metropolis was built during the Ming Dynasty between 1406 and 1420 and served as both the emperor’s home and the political center of the Chinese government for over 500 years. Within the city, the Palace Museum houses artifacts and relics, while the Summer Palace reveals ancient artwork, singular structures, and one of the world’s most celebrated classical gardens.
Nearby, another feat of human ingenuity awaits: The Great Wall. Hop a cable car to the most popular stop, Badaling, or opt for the less-crowded Mutianyu, where a toboggan slide waits to shoot visitors back down the mountain. Fifty kilometers north of Beijing, the Ming Tombs are home to 13 Ming Dynasty emperors.
For live culture, take in the Beijing Opera and any of the city’s renowned acrobatic shows. Additionally, the 798 Art Zone district offers a multitude of contemporary Chinese art, while the Silk Market and Panjiayuan markets provide top shopping opportunities. Finally, the city’s most famous dish, Peking Duck, presents the perfect way to re-energize after a day spent exploring.
View Local Area Map
Arts & Culture
- Summer Palace 10.0 km/6.2 miles
- China-Japan Friendship Hospital 1.8 km/1.1 miles
- Beijing University of Chinese Medicine 3.3 km/2.0 miles
- China International Exhibition Center 4.0 km/2.5 miles
- China National Convention Center 4.0 km/2.5 miles
- Confucius Temple 4.2 km/2.6 miles
- Beijing Union University 6.4 km/4.0 miles
- Temple of Earth 3.2 km/2.0 miles
- Lama Temple 4.0 km/2.5 miles
- Forbidden City 4.8 km/3.0 miles
- Tiananmen Square 8.0 km/5.0 miles
- Beijing Botanical Garden 15.0 km/9.3 miles
- Ming Tombs 20.0 km/12.4 miles
- Great Wall, Badaling 45.0 km/28.0 miles
- Embassy District 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- 798 Art District 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Beijing Wangfujing Pedestrian Street 11.8 km/7.3 miles
- Financial Street 12.2 km/7.6 miles
- The National Aquatic Center 2.0 km/1.2 miles
- Olympic Stadium 2.0 km/1.2 miles
- Beihai Park 5.0 km/3.1 miles
- Beijing Zoo 6.0 km/3.7 miles
- Hou Hai Bar Street 8.7 km/5.4 miles
- Solana Mall 5.1 km/3.2 miles
- Taikoo Li Sanlitun 8.4 km/5.2 miles
- Ya Xiu Market 8.4 km/5.2 miles
- Shin Kong Shopping Mall 11.7 km/7.3 miles
- Silk Market 12.5 km/7.8 miles
- Qianmen Street 14.8 km/9.2 miles
- Panjiayuan Weekend Antiques Market 14.9 km/9.3 miles
- Beijing Subway Line 5 0.5 km/0.3 miles
- Beijing Railway Station 8.0 km/5.0 miles
- Beijing Capital International Airport 25.3 km/15.7 miles