Rated 3 out of 5 by Redd2016 Anniversary ending in the doghouse
Very disappointing experience. I won't be back.
- In discussion with the reservations agent, thought I had reserved an oceanfront room with balcony. Apparently my definition of an oceanfront room differs from Westin management. Although we could view the ocean, it was through the room next door's balcony. For those of us with a balcony facing the each other across the courtyard, there was no privacy at all on your balcony. Not what I would expect from a upgrade to oceanfront room. Not to mention I made my intentions perfectly clear during the reservation discussion.
- Also noted during the reservation process was the fact that the wife and I were celebrating an anniversary during the stay. Although not required, the agent informed me the hotel would "do a little something" for us (bottle of champagne, flowers, etc. left to the hotels discretion). Regardless, there was no mention at check in nor was there any token of their gesture throughout the visit.
- Although the beachfront is very nice and expansive, the water was disgusting. I can't say if the water is that thick with the muddy film we experienced all the time but some serious consideration should be given to restricting any swimming activity. I'm a fairly frequent beachgoer but this was far and above the most horrible conditions I've ever seen. I noticed the posted water quality signs stating the water bacteria level was safe but any parent would be concerned at the water conditions I experienced.
- For those of you considering a visit, plan on forking out an additional charge (not cheap) for the lounge chairs and umbrella that they will getting around to having available around 10 or 1030.
- The room was above average in most aspects but the room temperature at night was unsatisfactory. Despite adjusting the thermostat to a lower setting, the temperature never got within 2 degrees of the setting and regularly turned on and off throughout the night as if the system had achieved it's setting.
- Pool was nice. Of course with the water across the dunes being what it is, the pool was a popular alternative. Did I mention I was thankful it was just the wife and I and not the kids or grandkids? That would have been a disaster.
- The food and drink option near the pool was great. Poolside service was a bit off...I found it easier to go to the bar to get my drinks rather than weight on the attendant. Maybe...on busy days...consideration of adding another attendant may be helpful?
- A towel attendant? Really? What next, an extra charge to use the towels?
- I guess I could have made a stink about one of all of these issues I had. Just wish I didn't have to. I wanted the wife and I to relax and enjoy a beachfront experience for a few days. Remarkably not once during our stay nor even at the in-person check-out process did an employee ask how my stay was or if there were any problems.
- Have the front desk follow up an hour or so after check-in to ensure complete satisfaction or provide an opportunity to address any issues.
- Gotta do something about the water conditions. I realize it's the ocean and nature takes it's course but perhaps some dredging or other environmentally friendly option exists to clean the water up.
- At check-out, ask if all expectations were met. It's often too little too late but at least give the guest an opportunity to share any concerns prior to leaving the property. Maybe the chain could avoid these lengthly reviews if they had taken the initiative to not rest on their laurels or the Westin name and go earn their customer's satisfaction.
Sorry Westin. Always had a ton of respect for you but I'll seek out other options rather than risk having a duplicate experience like this.
July 17, 2016
Rated 1 out of 5 by anSPGFrequenttraveler67 First, Last Time and Lacking Westin Traditions
I am platinum and took my family on what was supposed to be a nice vacation. As a Westin, I expect certain standards....they are not here....service is confused, lacked coordination, did not follow thru on promises and even when suites are showing online, they refused to offer them. I am loyal to SPG as they have always been loyal to me....this was a complete let down and I will never travel here for either work or personal. BTW, it is not an upgrade to move from one room to exactly another same size room.
July 4, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by 20YearStarwoodMember Poor Customer Service
I stayed at this hotel recently for a conference along with 5 other individuals from my organization. Initially my personal credit card was used to check-in and then converted over to my company credit card. This was done three times. Still 2 weeks later my personal credit card was billed for the charges. When I called to have the charges adjusted absolutely no assistance was given. They acted as if this was taking up their own personal time. Two different people could not place the charges on the correct credit card. I attribute this to poor management. It will be interesting to see if I even receive a call back.with an attempt to rectify the issue.
July 2, 2016
Rated 2 out of 5 by XaveSpring59 Treated as if we imposed on staffs private home....
Arrived to a room with great parking lot view when we requested ocean front. Staff "graciously" all the while being put-out moved us to correct room. Two days settled into a five day stay plumbing issues with toilet (sounded like a jet plane taking off). Maintenance wasn't sure how to correct problem and recommended front desk move us to new room (No consult with us). After new room cards, to a smaller room on the opposite side of resort were sent up, I spoke with maintenance. He was very accommodating in his effort to resolve issue so we would not have to pack up and move for the second time to a third room. I did however have to go to front desk to plead my case. Maintenance did resolve problem after a couple hours. I spent a half day of our stay trying to maintain a room. After all this we decided to check out a day early (before lunch check-out time) and were told we would still be charged for additional night. Once again I pleaded our case and staff "graciously did us a favor and did not charge for unused night stay.
I am not a hotel attendant and have no knowledge of this resorts procedures. I do travel often and know this is not common practice. I also feel when you cater to guest who choose to pay for a resort vacation with all the amenities you offer they should be treated as GUEST and not drop-in's!
June 24, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by Rondas1 25th Wedding Anniversary
This hotel was above and beyond our expectations. Our check in started off a little rusty since I was under the impression that I had booked an ocean front room, however upon entering our room we had a partial view. Needless to say we were pretty disappointed. After talking to the front desk staff, they quickly apologized and changed our room. The staff was so kind and apologetic. They even sent up a nice surprise to our room. We have traveled all over the world and have never been treated so special. A special thanks to Carlo and Jackie, our waiter at dinner. Our meal was excellent and Jackie brought me to tears when he began to serenade me with a love song. We can't wait to return!! The hotel was well located and all the staff went out of thier way to greet us and smile. Way to go Westin, this is what brings customers back!
June 20, 2016
Rated 3 out of 5 by MRB96 check in was difficult
We were at the hotel for a conference, the staff at the desk were not very helpful during the check in process. At 330 I checked on room availability and was told it would be 4. I gave the young lady my information and told her to please call when the room was ready. I asked her to leave a message on my phone since I was in a meeting. At 421 I received a call. When my husband went to check in, they would not give him the key stating that I did not tell them his name-no one asked. After showing ID, the same credit card used to book the room, my full name and address, he was told I would have to call them to allow him access to the room. How was I supposed to call when I am in a conference? Why was I not asked all information when I checked in? we were here in March with no issues but after this we will not be back. Too expensive for these issues.
June 13, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by JP5050 Great Island + Hotel
Our first time to this hotel and to the island. Pool and beach were both great. Room was very clean. Only experience with the restaurant was breakfast, which we ate at the hotel each morning. While the breakfast was a bit pricey, food was delicious. Had drinks at the bar one evening, bartender was wonderful. We did come at an off time (almost no one was in the hotel) which may have added to why it was such a great experience. Great place for a low key and relaxing family trip.
June 10, 2016
Rated 2 out of 5 by Bradley26 Not as expected
We live within 45 minutes of Jekyll but decided to have a "staycation" for the night and since the main point was to enjoy the beach and hotel we decided to stay at the Westin because of what you hear about it. It was beautiful in the halls and the room was honestly not what i thought it to be, we have stayed at much nicer places for less. The view was lovely though. We ordered room service at 10:50 PM(again- enjoying our date night) They were out of the chocolate cake we wanted. So we got something else and ordered drinks(they stop the bar at 11 so we were getting close) they took out drink order and the rest but after 30 minutes they FINALLY came with the food. Not the drinks, they told us that the bar had closed...which ticked my husband off because we had ordered in time. He explained to the man the time we ordered and he said that he would go see if someone was still there by chance. After a while my husband called and they said that they were bringing them up. By this point he was aggravated about them being out of half our order and waiting an hour to get the rest after having to complain(we could have went to a store for that long of a wait). It really dampered the whole point of the evening which was to have a stress free night away.
June 6, 2016